About Us

This is the webpage for ESP Journalism. It is an extension of articles and information that is published in ESP The Magazine. Help us make it cool, post comments and suggestions!

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Living the Mexica Life

The Beat of the Drum is the Beat to our Hearts

Cindy Renteria

Deep in our roots we all are Mexicas or Mayans. English is from Europe, which is white; Spanish is from Spain, which is white. Start living up to who you should really be. I am Cindy Renteria I started danza when I was ten. It became a big part of my life to the point that it is my way of living. When I dance I feel alive with the beat drum connecting to the beat of my heart and the everyone dancing as one in a circle. Over the years, being part of a group, I started to feel part of a family. Everyone cares for everyone, but of course in families there are conflicts; nothing you can't fix. Learning the traditions, ancestors, the dances and the symbols made me become humble about so  many things, such as loving our mother Earth, learning the spirits and how they still connect to us. The danza ways can sometimes be very spiritual, but in time you'll come to understand.

There are so many ceremonies that happen within our group and out. There are certain main ceremonies we like to celebrate such as, for the kids, the Day of the Dead, La Resistencia, girls becoming women and guys becoming men. There several groups through out the United States, and as well in Mexico, that do give us invites to there ceremonies. So we do travel a lot through out the year. And you're always learning more about danza and the traditions.



No comments:

Post a Comment